Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fuel Hike – Oh Hell!


“Come fast. We have a flight to catch.” screamed Savita at the top of her lungs. “They say women take time. They have to see this brother of mine. Come you idiot. I am going to the car.”

“Its you who want to go, remember.” Came the mocking reply. “Obviously you will be ready.”

Savita and Ravi were 18 year old twins but no one in their right mind will place them in the same room for more than a few minutes without expecting some nuclear explosions. This was the trip their dad had organized for the annual shopping festival in Dubai. Savita had been listing down all the things she wanted to buy from there while Ravi only wanted the latest PS and probably the I-Pad both of which did not require much “shopping”. His requests to go to Australia had been turned down without a second thought.

“Remember we went to London last year. It had ‘Ravi’ written all over. Can’t we go to one place where I want to go?”

“What about Italy the year before? Why does a single girl want to go on a romantic destination anyway? Do it after your marriage.”

“That will be Rs.750 sir.” The cab driver just wanted to get away from this bickering duo.

“750! You must be crazy! We came to the airport just last month and it was just 600 bucks!”

“The prices have increased twice in this time ma’am.”

“Another fuel hike!” groaned Ravi. “I cannot afford this from my meagre pocket money. Dad has to send us more money. Call it the inflation allowance or something. What say Savitri?”

“Call me that name once more and I will use my pocket money to hire a killer to kill you. And yes, you are right. We should join Anna Hazare and go on a hunger strike till we get more pocket money.”

“Or I have a brilliant idea. Lets buy one of those hybrids which works on battery and uses hardly any fuel. No fuel, no fuel hike botheration!”

“Wah! My brother! And how much does this hybrid cost? Wait. Don’t tell me. 20 lakhs? You think dad will give you the money? And I need my own car so just double the amount.”

“You have some other brainwave, you brainless moron? At least I gave one idea.”

“Hmmm. I will ask some questions and you answer them. Ok?”

“Asking questions! Ok….go ahead.”

“Why do we need petrol?”

“To fill our cars. What kind of question is that?”

“Shut up and answer. Why do we need to fill our cars?”

“To go to college or hang out.”

“What do you do in college?”

“Mostly time pass or carry on to a mall or something.”

“Why?”

“To hang out…were you not listening?”

“So you fill up your car, take it to college and then hang out in the mall where you will anyway go if their was no college also?”

“Yep…I guess that’s correct.”

“So why not just live in the mall? Lets buy the mall!”


“Ok, what if I say that I the reason I wanted to go to Dubai was not shopping?”

“Huhhhhh!!!!! Where did Dubai come into the picture?”

“Hey! Its where all the oil tycoons live right? I will just marry one of them and be immune to any oil price hikes for the rest of my life! You think of what you will do!”

“I am calling dad and telling him that his daughter is going crazy. I actually hope that you do get married in Dubai. I will be rid of you FOREVER! Now that is a riddance much better than the fuel hike!”

“Mr.Ravi Verma, I will kill you. Wait….no. I will give you a slow death by staying right here and to hell with the fuel prices.”

No comments: